|Bodkin Island Light|
|First established in 1822 (discontinued in 1855) the Bodkin Island Lighthouse would have been visible from the North Overlook in the distance. It has long since crumbled and what remains of the lighthouse and the island on which it stood now show only as a ‘navigational hazard’ on present-day maps.
Bodkin Point Light was constructed to aid shipping traffic to Baltimore. Construction of this first lighthouse in Maryland waters was on six acres purchased for $600. The contract was awarded to Thomas Evans and William Coppeck. Evans and Coppeck completed the 35’ stone tower and small, one-story, keeper's dwelling in October of 1821. Thirteen lamps were procured from Winslow Lewis and installed shortly thereafter. The light was commissioned in January 1822.
Sevenfoot Knoll, lighted in 1856, replaced Bodkin Island Light, which was plagued by poor construction. The keeper's dwelling was inhabited by a fisherman for some time and later abandoned. In 1914 the tower collapsed. Since then the bay has reclaimed the 20+ acre island.