|Tangier Sound Lighthouse|
Sound Lighthouse was built in 1890 in the Chesapeake Bay just southeast
of Tangier Island. It was a square screwpile lighthouse. The lighthouse
suffered damage in a 1905 ice flow that drove a schooner into the structure.
The lighthouse was automated prior to being dismantled in 1961. The current
steel tower was erected on the original foundation.
Photo courtesy U.S. Coast Guard.