|Great Wicomico River Lighthouse|
Wicomico River Lighthouse was built in 1889 at the entrance to Great Wicomico
River in the Chesapeake Bay near Fleeton, Virginia. It was a hexagonal screwpile
lighthouse with a fourth order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was assembled
at Lazaretto Depot in Maryland.
The lighthouse was dismantled in 1967 and replaced with a small automatic light on a steel skeletal tower built on the original foundation.
Photo courtesy U.S. Coast Guard.